Sunday, June 21, 2009

I've arrived!

Well, I made it! After a slight delay in Houston, I arrived in Morelia (1.5 hr drive from Patzcuaro). When we arrived, our plane taxied not to a terminal, but to a staircase (Think Casa blanca, but more rainy and less romantic). We descended the stairs in the rain and made our way through customs. I was greeted by Brenda and Richard's driver Nacho. He had never met me before, but found me immediately seeing as that I was the only confused looking gringa in the airport. Nacho drove me to Brenda and Richards house in Patzcuaro. I learned that in Mexico they call speed bumps "topes" and in Nacho's words "Mexico es el paise de topes" which I learned to be very true. I was amazed at how quickly we went from 60mph to near stand still because of the speed bumps. Richard later explained that they use the speed bumps as way to slow traffic instead of stop lights or stop signs. But I did see some Cow crossing signs.
Richard and Brenda's house is gorgeous.I will add pictures soon. The live on a hill on the outskirts of the city and have lovely views of downtown Patzcuaro as well as lake Patzcuaro. They probably have one of the nicest views in the city. Their land is pretty amazing too. They own about 4 acres of space that surrounds their house that was once an orchard. They grow three kinds of avocados, peaches, figs, lemons, limes, pears, oranges, apricots, and some other fruits that we don't get in the United States (So of course I forgot their name).
Richard gave me a tour this morning and we found lots of pottery and stones that our hundreds of years old. Many archeologists believe that their house was built on top an important Purepecha structure (given it's high location and the way that the land is built up around it). So it is easy to walk around and uncover ancient pottery and tile work. Today while we were walking we found a pipe (Which apparently is pretty rare).
After a lovely breakfast of juevos ranchearos and potatoes Richard and Brenda moved me up to their other house. This house is even higher on the mountain. It is the last house on a famous street in Patzcuaro called El Estribo. The road literally goes up the side of the old volcano that created lake Patzcuaro. The house is lovely and the view is to die for! I can see everything- it is amazing. While walking the 15 minutes into town downhill in the morning will be fine I am little worried about the uphill hike home every night. I hear taxis are cheap, (about $2) so I may have to become friendly with the drivers over the course of the summer. I am going to be staying in this house with two second year medical students from Northwestern (Who fly in tonight).
After I settled in a little, Richard, Brenda, and their REALLY CUTE dog, Doula(how appropriate!) took a hike around the mountain. We didn't go too far because I was still getting used to the altitude and the rainy season brings afternoon showers everyday, but I will definitely explore it more in the future.
We are back at the main house now resting before we go downtown for our main meal and exploring. Overall, it is absolutely beautiful and I am really looking forward to getting to know the town more.
Everyone has been very friendly and I have gotten a chance to practice my Spanish. On my flight last night I talked for a while to a really nice gentleman who was visiting his family in Michoacan (the state that I am in now), but who works as a roofer in Chicago. I also talked a gentleman in the Houston airport who noticed my Mexico book and talked to me about my trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment