Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Ascending the summit....

It didn’t rain today! It was an absolutely beautiful day here in Mexico. The sun was shining- it was great! The only bad thing was my shotty internet (la red) connection tonight, but I guess I will manage. Since it was so beautiful I decided to take lots of pictures of Patzcuaro in the sunshine, so you should check them out on my flickr site (See link to the right).
This morning we went to Spanish class, met a cute perro, and played Spanish language bingo. In the afternoon we met with Richard and had an intense meeting about what exactly our projects and responsibilities are going to be for the summer. I am going to be designing and implementing a survey to gain a better understanding of the quality and availability of the health care resources in la cuenca (the mountain basin surrounding lake patzcuaro). I will be surveying the health care centers in about 22 mestizo and Purepecha communities to gain a better understanding of who is covered by which clinics and what the training of the staff is in those clinics as well as the quality of those clinics. I’m pumped. Although, I hope my Spanish will be good enough to actually conduct the surveys I design (If not, a staff member can help me and then I can analyze the data).
Around 7 we decided we wanted to climb to the top of the mountain we live on. Oh man, what an idea! It was beautiful, but lots of sweat, blood, and tears contributed to getting us to the top. Ok, perhaps I am over exaggerating but there definitely was lots of sweat and gasping. Uphill hiking is hard, but uphill hiking when there is little oxygen in the air that your body is not used to is even harder. It was amazing though, twice we were passed by some super athletic locals who could climb quite easily- I still don’t know how they didn’t die running up the mountain.
After our epic summit scaling, we decided to cook dinner! It wasn’t very exciting just veggies, pasta, and avocado salsa, but after our intense outdoor workout anything would have tasted great. After dinner we sorted beans! This was a pretty cool part of my day. I had no idea how beans were cooked. For those of you out there who know nothing about beans like me I will update you. First you have to sort them to check for rocks (?) and strange looking ones (This was a fun part- I had NO idea beans had such a visual variety, so amazing). Then you have to soak them overnight so that they can absorb H20. Then you have to let them simmer for FOUR hours! Woah, I don’t think I have EVER spent four hours preparing any sort of meal or food derivative. Tomorrow will surely be an adventure en los frijoles. There is a tortillaria down the street, so we are going to make rice and beans with fresh tortillas, peppers, and cilantro. Yummy. I will let you know how it goes.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Leslie,
    Sam sent this link to us. The pictures are beautiful. I will enjoy watching your travels.
    My question for you is, how poor is that area? The pictures show so many nice buildings and stuff. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaahaha that is why you buy CANNED beans
    My grandma is always confused why nobody ever buys her gazillions of dried beans every year. It's because it takes forever! Now she is selling them to an organic food store for probably about 5 times more than they're worth.

    your pictures are so pretty! and your house looks amazing! I want to gchat you soon, Glen moved into your room today (tear)

    -Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Bley!
    It is great to hear from you. Patzcuaro is a complicated area because it is a big tourist city for people from Mexico City and Guadalajara as well as americans but it is surrounded by rural indigenous villages. So, the city itself and the area I live in is very nice and really not that different from the US. But when you get further away from the city and in the communities that my organization works with it is a very different story. Many people don't have running water or electricity in their houses. Many houses are constructed using whatever materials that are available and are kind of pieced together with left over wood and metal. So it is really like living in two worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw your flickr picture of you with the agave plant. I didn't know they were so big! But then you do have a certain fondness for tequila shots, so I'm sure you're up to the challenge!

    Gorgeous pictures, I can't wait to visit!

    -M

    ReplyDelete